When it comes to your health, beer gets a bad rap even though enjoying it in moderation has some serious health benefits, yes really. Unlike red wine, beer gets the s*** end of the stick so we’re here to set the record straight.
Researchers from Italy’s Fondazione di Ricerca e Cura found that beer in moderation, a little over a pint a day, helps reduce the risk of heart disease in drinkers by 31%. Another study published in the Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology showed that moderate consumption of beer helps reduce the risk of kidney stones by 41%. Even better, beer is one of the very few plant sources of B12.
Now that we’ve wet your appetite with these enticing health benefits, here is our list of the top 5 healthiest beers.
1) Pacifico - This Mexican pilsner comes in at just 135 calories with 12 grams of carbs. Lighter beers usually have a lower alcohol and carbohydrate content and are lower in calories because of that. If you are watching your weight, or trying to shed a few pounds but still want to enjoy a beer, you should definitely stick to the ones with a lower calorie count. Pacifico is just a much better-tasting beer than most light beers on the market.
2) Guinness - This traditional Irish Stout has the reputation of being a heavy beer, but at only 128 calories this is a common misconception. Dark beers also contain fiber. About 35 grams per serving. So next time you reach for the bran muffin thinks about enjoying a refreshing pint of Guinness.
3) Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - One of our personal favorites, this super hoppy beer is loaded with phytochemicals which are nutrients found in plants. They are thought to reduce your risks of illnesses including heart disease and some cancers. Sierra Nevada has a slightly higher alcohol content (5.6) as well as few more calories and carbs. (175 and 14.1 respectively)
4) Abita Purple Haze - This New Orleans Premier Craft Brewery offers a variety of flavorful brews, but few as notable as this raspberry-infused wheat beer. Purple Haze is brewed with a fresh raspberry puree providing nutrients and vitamins and giving it a distinct aroma and taste. Purple Haze only has 128 calories and 11 carbs, which is reputable for such a flavorful tasting beer.
5) Yuengling Light Lager - This full flavored lager still has all of the benefits of a low-calorie beer. Yuengling, the oldest brewery in America, has created a great tasting beer at only 99 calories and 9 carbs.
There you have it, our list of 5 healthy beers for you to enjoy. Please remember to always drink responsibly and let the good times roll.